Two questions, what is the difference between plexiglass and ordinary glass? Is plexiglass plastic? For those in the industry, these two questions are probably not a problem, and they seem to be very low. But these two questions are also the people who searched the most, which means that the public wants to know these two questions. For the second question, is plexiglass plastic? The questioner must also want to know the answer, whether plexiglass is plastic or not.
Is plexiglass plastic?
For the professionals, it is clear that plexiglass is a kind of thermoplastic, commonly known as acrylic, or PMMA in English, chemical name: polymethyl methacrylate, a polymer compound made by polymerization of methyl methacrylate.
The difference between plexiglass and ordinary glass
Plexiglass is an organic polymer with a chemical name of polymethyl methacrylate. It is formed by polymerization of methyl methacrylate monomer and is an important thermoplastic. The surface is smooth, colorful, good light transmission performance, small specific gravity, light weight, high strength, corrosion resistance, moisture resistance, light resistance, good insulation performance, sound insulation, and can be made into various shapes according to needs. It can also be made into colored, translucent or opaque products.
Ordinary glass is an amorphous inorganic non-metallic material. It is made by melting quartz and metal oxides such as sodium oxide or calcium oxide. The main component is silicate double salt. The main raw materials are quartz sand, borax, boric acid, barite, and carbonic acid. Barium, limestone, feldspar, soda ash, etc. It has the properties of light transmission, heat insulation, sound insulation, abrasion resistance, and weather resistance, but it is brittle, not impact-resistant, has a large specificity and a heavy weight. It can be used to manufacture glass products that have no special requirements for heat resistance and chemical stability.
To put it simply, plexiglass is plastic, and ordinary glass is the kind of glass that is easy to break, simple and clear. In addition, there is now tempered glass, we will also give a brief introduction next.
Tempered glass belongs to safety glass. Tempered glass is actually a kind of prestressed glass. In order to improve the strength of glass, chemical or physical methods are usually used to form compressive stress on the glass surface. When the glass is subjected to external force, the surface stress is first offset, thereby improving the bearing capacity and enhancing the resistance of the glass itself. Wind pressure, cold and heat, shock, etc. Pay attention to distinguish it from FRP.
Because this article focuses on plexiglass, let’s continue to talk about plexiglass.
Types of plexiglass, plexiglass can be divided into four types according to the shape:
1. Colorless transparent plexiglass
The most common and most used organic glass material.
2. Colored transparent plexiglass
Commonly known as color board. The light transmission is soft, and the light boxes and handicrafts made with it make people feel comfortable and generous. Colored plexiglass is divided into three types: transparent and colored, translucent and colored, and opaque and colored. The luster of magnetic plexiglass is not as bright as pearl plexiglass, and it is brittle and fragile. It is suitable for making dials, boxes, medical equipment and modeling materials for characters and animals. Transparent plexiglass: high transparency, suitable for making lamps. The chandelier made of it is exquisite and translucent, crystal clear. Translucent plexiglass is similar to frosted glass, with soft reflections. Crafts made with it make people feel comfortable and generous.
3. Pearlescent plexiglass
It is made by adding pearl powder or phosphor powder to ordinary plexiglass. This kind of plexiglass has bright color and high surface finish. After the outer form is hot-pressed by the Mold, even if it is ground and polished, it still maintains the molded pattern, forming a unique artistic effect. It can be used to make figures, animal shapes, trademarks, decorations and publicity exhibition materials.
4. Embossed plexiglass
It is transparent, translucent, colorless, fragile, and fragile. It is used in decorations such as indoor doors and windows. It has the characteristics of translucent but opaque. It is usually used in indoor partitions or doors and windows in compartments.
Advantages of plexiglass
1. The aesthetics of plexiglass: it has a mirror effect, exquisite craftsmanship, no wrinkles, no seams;
2. The visual effect of plexiglass: various colors and strong visual impact;
3. The light transmittance of plexiglass: the light transmittance can reach 96%, the light transmittance is excellent, and the light is relatively soft;
4. The impact resistance of plexiglass: more than 200 times that of ordinary glass products, there is almost no risk of breaking;
5. Durability of plexiglass: The product has a good protection for the built-in light source and prolongs the life of the light source product;
6. The weather resistance of plexiglass: it can keep the color for a long time, and the service life of good quality plates can be as long as 6-13 years;
7. The flame resistance of plexiglass: there will be no spontaneous combustion and self-extinguishing;
8. The energy-saving properties of plexiglass: light transmittance is very good, relatively reducing the light source, saving electricity, and reducing the cost of use;
9. The rationality of plexiglass: reasonable design and rain-proof and moisture-proof, open structure, easy to clean and maintain.
How to identify plexiglass?
1. Identify the light transmittance of plexiglass: After a good acrylic sheet is irradiated with white light, the light transmitted is very pure, without yellowing or blue, and a good sheet has a greater light transmittance. The pure new material acrylic sheet has a pure appearance, and the recycled sheet has a yellowish appearance.
2. Identify the thickness of plexiglass: An important characteristic of acrylic sheet is measured by thickness. Generally speaking, how thick is enough thickness. You must ask about the thickness when purchasing. This is the key factor. The pure new acrylic sheet has excellent surface hardness and scratch resistance, and there is no irritating smell when cutting; the surface of the regenerated sheet is easy to scratch, and it produces a irritating smell when cutting.
3. Identify the fire of plexiglass: good acrylic is not suitable for burning, and will not produce unpleasant odors during processing. Many materials on the market pretend to be, this can be a try with what they said. When the pure virgin acrylic sheet is heated for thermoforming, it is not easy to produce bubbles and deformation; when the recycled sheet is heated for thermoforming, it is prone to bubble deformation.
4. Identify the baking softness of plexiglass: good acrylic blister sheets can be separated even if they are pasted together after baking soft, but it is very difficult to separate the poor materials after being baked and pasted together. The pure new material acrylic board has a long-lasting adaptability to paint and ink; the recycled board is sensitive to paint and ink and is prone to silver streaks or cracks.
5. Identification of soft rubber edges: New sheets and good materials are packaged with soft rubber edges at the factory, in order to prevent rubbing. So this can be used as a way to distinguish between recycled materials and new plates.
6. Identify the quality of plexiglass: good plate manufacturers usually provide samples and actual products. You can compare and check according to the color and some parameters, and it is also very easy to identify.
How to buy plexiglass?
1. Identification of light transmittance. After a good acrylic sheet is irradiated with white light, the light transmitted is very pure, without yellowing or bluishness, and a good sheet has a higher light transmittance.
2. Thickness identification. An important characteristic of acrylic sheet is measured by thickness. Generally speaking, how thick is enough thickness. You must ask about the thickness when purchasing. This is the key factor.
3. Fire identification, good acrylic is not suitable for burning, and will not produce unpleasant odors during processing. Many materials on the market pretend to be, this can be a try with what they say is waste.
Disposal of waste plexiglass
1. Separation and decomposition technology
The domestic market is immature in the application of acrylic decomposition technology, mainly using labor, which causes high costs and difficult management. In foreign countries, there has been a complete process for acrylic decomposition technology, using acrylic/plexiglass products to add resin, and its melting point , The softening point is different, the resin can be extracted with the current technology, and it can be perfectly utilized
2. Incineration, landfill
The main method of producing acrylic products in the country will cause great damage to the environment and waste land resources. Now the domestic requirements for the environment are getting higher and higher, and this method will be gradually eliminated in the country in the future.
3. Secondary molding
Acrylic processing is simple. For those who are familiar with acrylic, it is not difficult to secondary mold discarded acrylic. Using discarded acrylic products to make all kinds of handicrafts is very artistic. Acrylic products have a service life. With the aging of acrylic, it will eventually be discarded. How to dispose of acrylic products is a consideration of the environment and cost. I hope that the method of disposal of acrylic display stands will be helpful to everyone. .
Link to this article： The difference between plexiglass and ordinary glass, is plexiglass plastic?
Reprint Statement: If there are no special instructions, all articles on this site are original. Please indicate the source for reprinting:https://www.cncmachiningptj.com/，thanks！
Sheet metal, beryllium, carbon steel, magnesium, 3D printing, precision CNC machining services for heavy equipment, construction, agriculture and hydraulic industries. Suitable for plastics and rare alloys machining. It can turn parts up to 15.7 inches in diameter. Processes include swiss machining,broaching, turning, milling, boring and threading. It also provides metal polishing, painting, surface grinding and shaft straightening services. The production range is up to 50,000 pieces. Suitable for screw, coupling, bearing, pump, gearbox housing, drum dryer and rotary feed valve applications.PTJ will strategize with you to provide the most cost-effective services to help you reach your target,Welcome to Contact us ( [email protected] ) directly for your new project.
Link to this article：The difference between plexiglass and ordinary glass, is plexiglass plastic?
Reprint Statement: If there are no special instructions, all articles on this site are original. Please indicate the source for reprinting.：Casting Wiki，THANKS！^^